For most of its 82 year
history, the Village of
Colonie had no official seal. In 1994, then Recreation Director Bob Rogowicz, ran a contest approved by the Village Board to create an official Village of Colonie seal. A Village resident, Dottie Carroll, won the contest as the designer of the seal on March 28, 1994.
Dottie, a member of the Village Senior Citizens Center, and a village
On March 2, 1921 - the Village of Colonie was incorporated. The first Board of Trustees meeting was held four weeks later at the Colonie Village schoolhouse at 8:00 p.m, Wednesday, March 30, 1921, with the Mayor, Charles H. Collins, presiding over the Board of Trustees. That night the Village government borrowed $500 for the purpose of defraying expenses of the incorporation, created the office of Police Justice, set a tax rate of $3.00 per $1,000 assessed valuation, established the first Village budget at $1285, and the Village was in business. The Village of Colonie was little more than twin ribbons of buildings on either side of Central Avenue, stretching from the traffic light on Wolf Road to the traffic light on the western side of the Village.
In March of 1923, with Mayor Nordin Shambrook presiding, the Village borrowed $12,000 to pay its share of improving the Albany-Schenectady Road.
During the 1930's the Village continued to grow with a variety of ordinances being passed to keep abreast of the times and to insure a the Village would be "A Place to be Proud of."
1931 - Fire Company incorporated
In August 1940 the Village Board met with the Town of Colonie to discuss the purchase of water from the Latham Water District. It was agreed that the Village would use the main line on Wolf Road to furnish water to the Village residents. The Board offered and adopted a resolution to issue $75,000 in bonds for the water system. Under the strong leadership of Mayor Russell Goulty, who served during the 1940's, the Village continued to expend. Bus service between Albany and Schenectady started, Lincoln Avenue was paved, a zoning commission was authorized to protect the Village from undesirable buildings and the 1949 budget was $18,316.
The fifties saw the Village continue to grow under the guidance of Mayor Fred Bauer as evidences by population as well as the size of the budget which grew from $24,000 in 1950 to $91,164 in 1959.
An interesting quirk in the 1960 election occurred. On May 23, 1960, due to a tie vote in the elections of the Trustees between Edward Mahoney and William Cook, the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court ruled that the choosing of the trustees would be done by lots. The Clerk-Treasurer produced a deck of cards. Bill Cook drew the jack of diamonds and Ed Mahoney drew the eight of diamonds. Thus, at the flip of a card and the luck of the draw, Bill Cook became a trustee, launching him into his political career. Bill went on to become Mayor and served in that post until he retired.
Perhaps the most accelerated growth both in terms of size and delivery of services to Village residents took place during the 12-year leadership of Mayor Bill Cook from 1960 to 1972.
Mayor Charles Milton took office and started rubbish pick-up route and continuation of the sewer project in the Village.
June, 1981 - Mayor Kuhn and Board of Trustees build new Senior Citizen Center
June, 1995 - Frank Leak takes office. During Frank's years as Mayor of the Village, he and the Board of Trustees have accomplished the following:
- Light at Nicholas Drive
Village Hall / 2 Thunder Road / Albany, New York 12205 / 518-869-7562